Daa-meganizer requires .daa extension

Version: Community edition v 6.10.8
Tool: daa-meganizer

I used Diamond to create a .daa file, then renamed it prior to meganizing with daa-meganizer. The new name didn’t have the “.daa” extension. I got an IOException with the message “File not in DAA format”.

Easy workaround: I appended “.daa” to the filename and it worked fine. But the error message is still misleading.

Hi Philip, MEGAN requires the correct file suffix for performance issues. I have changed all “File not in XXX format” messages to “File not in XXX format (or incorrect file suffix?)” in the next release.
I hope that this will help future users.

Hi, I am getting a similar error, but my file is in a .daa format.

(/lustre/project/taw/share/conda-envs/megan) [kvigil@cypress2 tools]$ daa-meganizer -i /lustre/project/taw/kvigil/ONR/baratariabay/ONR_baratariabay100623/20231006_1648_MN18851_FAW76720_acec0fdf/fastq_pass/concatenate/barcode04.daa -
mdb megan-map-Feb2022.db
Version MEGAN Community Edition (version 6.24.20, built 5 Feb 2023)
Author(s) Daniel H. Huson
Copyright (C) 2023 Daniel H. Huson. This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
Java version: 18.0.2.1
Caught:
java.io.IOException: File not in DAA format (or incorrect file suffix?): /lustre/project/taw/kvigil/ONR/baratariabay/ONR_baratariabay100623/20231006_1648_MN18851_FAW76720_acec0fdf/fastq_pass/concatenate/barcode04.daa
at megan/megan.tools.DAAMeganizer.run(DAAMeganizer.java:182)
at megan/megan.tools.DAAMeganizer.main(DAAMeganizer.java:59)

You are sure that you ran DIAMOND with option -f 100?

When you run the DIAMOND view command on your file, does it accept it as a DAA file?

If both answers are yes, then I will explore this further.

I just looked inside the two files you put on GitHub - they are not in DAA format, but rather in tab format. When running DIAMOND, you need to specify -f 100 to create DAA format.

One way to confirm that a file is in DAA format is to open it using the hexedit command-line tool and to look at the first eight bytes in the file, they must be:

6B E3 3E 6D 47 53 0E 3C

This is the ‘magic number’ associated with a DAA file and if the file doesn’t start with these eight bytes it is not a DAA file.